Sunday, June 8, 2008
third question: how do you score vocabulary quiz?
In my previous school, one item of performance test was a vocabulary quiz. Whenever i teach new lesson, i taught new vocabulary and had a quiz for that two days later. I made a vocabulary quiz which consisted of 40 questions. To save the class time i scored it by myself. Since i taught 5 classes of a size of 40 students and taught about 2 lessons a month, it took me so much time scoring the quiz. i once tried to have them score the quiz but they wasted too much time and tortured me with perpetuous question if they have to give the point or not to a slightly different translation counterpart. I'm impatient to learn your wise way of scoring the quiz.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hi Donna,
That's a great question. I think that teachers are always struggling with how to do things like that. When I taught kids I used to put them in partners to mark another partners quiz. I found that partners usually could answer the questions by talking with each other. I also gave a really detailed list of possible answers on the OHP.
I like the idea of Jeon Yong joo teacher who gave the special lecture last week. I do at school, make an English leader and make them check the answer. I make different standards for each level. In case of lower students, giving some allowaneces seems really nice. Cheering up them with nice comments and small gift is really work.
Hi Donna,
I can guess how you feel with that kind of quiz. If I were you, I wouldn't do the vocab quiz, instead, I'd do something more exciting and fun stuff for the performance test, then both you and your students would have a good time and feel relax with the test. If you have to keep the test because of your school policy, I would use the way Nicole recommended like having them in pairs to mark each other's. And also I have another idea. Letting them make own test sheet from the vocab list for their partner would give them another chance to look at the vocab.
Hello, Donna.
I have the same experience as you.
but after several struggles,if the test is not included in student's grades, I usually let the student mark their test papers. I think it can be helpful for the studetnt themselves as well as the teacher.
Marking their frineds' test papers, They can get the good chance to review the words.
Post a Comment